Five top tips on how to choose a haulage company
Feb 25th, 2015
If you are a small or medium-sized business with goods to ship to and from the UK, how do you go about finding a reliable carrier you can trust? Freightex gives you its top five tips for sorting between the kings of the road from the pirates…
- Ask for a quote and expect a quick response: if a company can’t come back to you very quickly, how badly do they want your business and what does it say about their service? If not instant, expect a least same day response to a request for a quote. If they can’t, it means they don’t know the route and will probably come back with a price plucked out of the air anyway.
- Look for trade references and customer testimonials: service is everything and if the company can’t provide some support to their claims of great service, you may want to worry. It is normal to be able to provide trade references for a business-to-business customer and likely that the company will have some customer testimonials from prominent and known companies on its website.
- Make sure they understand your requirements: you may have tight collection or delivery slots or need specialist equipment – whatever it is, the haulier should pay attention and it should not be an issue for you to double-check they understand your request fully.
- Are there any language skills you require: if there are collection or delivery locations in different countries, it is exceptionally useful if drivers or transport managers have the right languages to communicate with them. Time and again we hear that language barriers have caused all sorts of problems which could have been solved very simply had there been some ability in the different language.
- Be clear if you have ongoing work: hauliers are generally conducive to reduce price if there is going to be regular work on a route. It’s good to let them know up front if you are going to be a long-term customer.
Use our online no-obligation pricer (http://www.freightex.com/) to benchmark prices. We know the right market price on European routes. To request a rate send us an e-mail with all the details to quotes [at] freightex.com.